Saturday, July 15, 2006

oh yes, and while we're at it

some of you may remember the unfortunate event that befell amanda in back in january, namely the theft of thousands of dollars worth of material from our garage. well i have an update.

i received a call yesterday from the district attorney's office in regards to my case. i can't remember if i wrote about it, but they caught a woman after i recovered some of our property in an antique store here in whittier. she has been in jail since may or thereabouts. anyway, there was supposed to be a jury trial yesterday, and i was subpoenaed to be on call. They called to let me know that the defendant decided to plead out. She took full responsibility for the crime and will owe me full restitution for the value of my property. I have to appear before a judge on the seventh of august and account for the value of my items, and the judge will rule on how much i am owed based on the evidence i present to back up my claims of loss. the ammount will be levied against the guilty party and cannot be removed with bankruptcy. The only way to clear it is for her to pay me. The best part is the the state will serve as my collections agency. so i may not see any actual money out of this woman, but her life will be really shitty until it's cleared up.

no i just have to start putting together as much evidence of valuation of my items as possible. anyone know a good person to talk to as far as the value of my surf board? it was an early sixties hand-shaped velzy 8'2" with an all wood glassed-in fin, two inch balsa stringer and no dings. the kicker of it is that Velzy was shaping under a psudonym at the time because his entire opporation was shut down by the IRS for tax evasion. super rare "Pacific Coast Surfboards by Dale" big "V" logo and everything. drop me any ideas in the comment section!

2 Comments:

Blogger jeric2003 said...

Wow. That's awesome! Good luck on pricing everything.

9:00 AM  
Blogger ms. tea said...

i am so glad to hear it! ever since the theft i have been keeping an eye out for amanda's grandma's china pattern in large quantities just in case it was the stolen goods.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home