Wednesday, August 18, 2004

ariel ramirez

the other evening i was sitting here at the computer, surfing this junk web, listening to the olympics on my tv. typical splash, cheer, pump your fist type of swimming stuff hitting my ear drums while i dinked around on fark. then slowly... sort of like a mist gathering above the lawn at dusk, the strains of a beautiful and haunting melody trailed into my ear drums. the impact was like a silent train. i was blown away by the haunting strains of this unfamiliar song.

so i freaked out, jumped up and ran to the tv. i was just intime to see that it was a volkswagen commercial. so i went to their site where they show your their commercials, but it wasn't there. so for the enxt frantic and fun 15 minutes or so, i "ran" around the web trying to figure out who it was singing that song.

i finally found out that it's a guy named richard buckner and the song is called 'ariel ramirez". This song is kicking my ass right now in a simple country sort of way. i really like it a lot. if you are one of my buddies, let me know if you want a copy of the cd. it's off of his album "Since" from 1998.

against my better judgement i am going to post the lyrics, as closely as i have been able to transcribe them through headphones. i must warn you that they do not do the song sonic justice however. remember that i called it haunting and beautiful above...

oh where you lay
your head tonight
i’ll roll away alone
and close on down

take up your reign
and fly back out
and we’ll pretend
forget we’re dead

yeah we’ll lay it down
when we’re all through
when we’re kiiled or cured
and barely heard

put ariel on
and smoke away the night
and do the white-net crawl
until the hammers fall

i kept your poem here
with all my other gear
but in the end
i missed what it meant

oh where you lay
your head tonight
i’ll roll away alone
and close on down

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you about this song. I have asked everyone about it and I finally got a free minute to look on the net for it. It gives me chills and a lump in my throat every time I hear it.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have done searches on the lyrics for Ariel Ramirez and have only found two. Yours, and one other. The only word that is different is in the line:

take up your reign (yours)

take up your wings (other ver)

not sure which is right.

any comments?

Thanks for posting lyrics.

11:57 PM  
Blogger KMOB said...

that line in praticular did give me some trouble
i have listened to it over and over again, and am listening to it again as i type this, but i am fairly sure that whatever word he says begins with the letter R, such as ring or reing.

here's a couple of things that make me excited about this song
1) my favorite part of the song isn't in the commercial. (it's the part that begins "i kept your poem here..." it just seems so magical to me with the guitar parts right then.
2) the reference to the great ariel ramirez is fantastic. you here him say "put ariel on and smoke the night away". ariel ramirez contirbution to music beginning in the '60's with his La Misa Criolla was amazing. if you can find it, listen to the influence of the guitars in this vernacular mass to the easy strumming of buckner... it's fantastic!

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this post. I too was entranced by this song on the commercial and the only lyrics I caught were "and close on down". Your's is the only site that I found that had any actual info.
Thanks again,
Shay

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right about the song being "haunting." I, too, have sought the net over to find out more about this song. I can't agree with you about the lyrics not doing the song "sonic justice." Another site had that one uncertain word as ring....which to me would imply that she gets up out of his bed, puts her wedding ring back on, Flies away home and leaves him to his haunting, overwhelmingly painful lonliness. Alone with the music of Ariel Ramirezand the words of her poem under his pillow....oh, how poignant

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that the line is "take off your ring"

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same thing happen with this song and barely today (after three months in bootcamp) had a chance to look it up. This was one of those songs for me that I can listen to for years to come. It gives the feeling of "bittersweet" if that makes any sense. Like the end of a journey of success but loss. Like the loss of love or passion. I think that's why it stuck with me this way. I really can't explain it. It got to me so much i used to hum the toon over and over during the most lonely parts of basic (which would be most parts) which may be why I associate the song with the journey and the loss and all that. Needless to say I have to find this album before I get shipped off. Thanks for the lyrics too.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home