Wednesday, May 11, 2005

in search of...

so no money for my show yet, but it's all sorted. should (& i know i have said this before) be here tomorrow or the day after (friday). every paper has been signed, every dash an tittle... um done, no stone left unturned. once it's here, i can finally complete my show. that will be nice.

in news, i will unfortunately have to drive to oregon to get the trees that i need. usually they will ship them, but since it is the Oregon Department of Forestry that i am purchasing them from, they will not ship out of state. their trees are for the express use of growing only in oregon. someone better let God know, there could be seedlings creeping over the border somewhere... maybe they even have signs like we have here in california, but you know... with big trees dragging seedlings or something.

lots of stuff on the plate here in the O'Brien household. amanda and i are contemplating our next move as far as life is concerned. she doesn't really like her job at all. anyone who has talked to keith knows it's not a real barn burner of excitement down there, or even remotely rewarding. amanda has decided that she wants to teach english, the writing kind, not the speaking of to esl kids. this is a good choice considering that she received her degree in english writing.

the rub is trying to take classes to get her credential while still working full time. she was accepted into the program at biola last year, but didn't want to do it at that point. since her acceptance is valid for five years, she need only sign up for classes and get started. the problem is that all the classes start at 4:30pm, much too early for her to attend from Irvine. so we have been thinking about other options for her to become a teacher.

amanda's parents are both in education. her dad is an elementary school district superintendent and her mom is a first grade teacher in a nearby town. her dad also happens to be a professor for Point Loma in the satellite education program that they have in bakersfield. he could get her in at the drop of a hat, and there is a huge demand for high school english teachers in bakersfield. she would need only be enrolled in a credential program, and she would have a job. should we want to pursue this option, we have to make some fairly major choices, and probably do so within a week or two so that we could get the ball rolling.

positives:

amanda would get her credential, plus a year or two of work experience while i am preparing a large body of work to get myself into a masters of fine arts program somewhere. wherever i end up going to school, with her experience teaching, she would hopefully be able to find a position nearby while i am getting my masters.

lower cost of living, and a higher salary would be great for putting money away, paying off my school debt, and preparing to buy a house, have a kid or something, etc.

getting away from L.A.

potential to live in a really cool old arts and crafts style house near the old down town for less than we pay here in whittier for a semi-dumpy aparthouse.

negatives:

moving away from my base of friends, which is basically my family since i really don't have one.

lack of connections to the bakersfield area, outside of amanda's parents and her grandparents. in short, i don't know anyone

distance from an established group of friend artists, with connections to galleries, and their ability to critique and comment on my growing body of work.

no connections for employment. i'm planning on subbing up there, but nothing other than that. i don't really have any plow experience.

lack of things to do. bakersfield is growing, but it's all McMansions and malls. good if you like having lots and lots of california pizza kitchens and shit, but bad if you want to pick up a sweet pair of shoes, or a freshly released record on vinyl. also an apparent lack of art community, as far as i can tell with what little poking around i have done.

it's bakersfield. it's what my papa used to call 'the hubs of hell'. it's almost always one billion degrees there during the summer. i am from oregon. i am a doug fir tree, a sword fern. i will bake to a browned crackling, dried out shell of myself. heat makes me a terrible person, like a girl menstruating forever. i hate you, i hate everyone. get me a beer.

see i'm already getting cranky.

So those are the pros and cons, the positives and the negatives. i'm not sold one way or the other. on one hand, the move wouldn't be permanent. on the other hand, bakersfield is fun to visit because my in-laws have a sweet house with a pool, no because of the scenic beauty.

i would love to hear what you all think. i haven't really told anyone about this yet, since it's only been talked about for a couple of weeks between amanda and i. since you all are my family however, i want to know what you guys think. leave some thoughts/advice in the comments. also pray for amanda and i that we could make the decision that will be best for us as we grow in our marriage and careers.

i love you guys & girls (in a philadelphia sort of way, not pittsburgh)

10 Comments:

Blogger redwine said...

"distance from an established group of friend artists, with connections to galleries, and their ability to critique and comment on my growing body of work."

If for any reason other than this. Don't move away. Unless you come to KC. Cause it's dope. Seriously, trying to rebuild a good artistic community that is challenging and stimulating takes a long damn time. Especially when you are done with university.

7:10 AM  
Blogger EMILY said...

matt, i know people in bakersfield and i promise you they are not people you really want to know. will you be at the hamilton's party, friday? we have something you may want to have.

8:29 AM  
Blogger jeric2003 said...

if amanda ends up finding a way to do BU for her credential, make sure she gets her advising with a lady named melinda or debbi. or a guy named keith. they're the ones who know what's going on. and they have recently restructured their entire program, so she would want to get good advising before signing up for any classes.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Seriously said...

Whittier's not really a hotbed of coolness. It's pretty much bakersfield without the city. It could be a decent place to regroup and build up a good base for y'alls before launching out into something cooler, though you could get stuck, and that would suck. as far as buying cool things- most good stuff you get over the internet or in thrift/ antique stores, and you really like mcdonald's... and bakersfield has been a hotbed for great creativity and whatnot with the likes of Buck Owens and... i need to stop defending bakersfield... out.

10:27 AM  
Blogger lindsay anne said...

for purely selfish reasons, I do not want you to move. But, then again, I understand your reasons for wanting to go. Sometimes change is good. and, if it was only for the short term (I can't imagine you'd stay any longer than necessary), I might be able to reconcile myself with that. But I still won't like it.

2:44 PM  
Blogger ms. tea said...

jesse already beat me to the buck owens reference but i thought i would offer this little piece of advice:

I came here looking for something
I couldn't find anywhere else
Hey, I'm not trying to be nobody
Just want a chance to be myself
I've done a thousand miles of thumbin'
I've worn holes in both my heels
Trying to find me something better
On the streets of Bakersfield

You don't know me, but you don't like me
You say you care less how I feel
But how many of you that sit and judge me
Have ever walked the streets of Bakersfield?

Spent some time in San Francisco
Spent a night there in the can
They threw this drunk man in my jail cell
Took fifteen dollars from that man
Left him my watch and my old house key
Don't want folks thinkin' that I'd steal
Then I thanked him as I was leaving, and
I headed for the streets of Bakersfield

How many of you that sit and judge me
Have ever walked the streets of Bakersfield?

whats not to like about the place?

seriously though, I would be sad to lose you two but if its only temporary and its gonna be what is better for you in the long run then you've got my support. i'll be praying for your decision as you and amanda as you consider your options.

3:31 PM  
Blogger kcs said...

These sound like exciting decisions. I'm always for new experiences. That's just my opinion. On a related note...I honestly have felt sick the last couple of days with how stuck I feel in my job. With that said get her outta here!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Justin said...

"someone better let God know, there could be seedlings creeping over the border somewhere... maybe they even have signs like we have here in california, but you know... with big trees dragging seedlings or something."
someone needs to paint this for me. Couple things: when is the show, and if you come up to Oregon, lemme know.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

It's good to shake up your life every four years or so. Especially for an artist.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

It's good to shake up your life every four years or so. Especially for an artist.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home